Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Crispy Southwest Wraps (Vegetarian) with Homemade Guacomole

Source: Sisters Cafe Blog

In an attempt to eat healthier, I made these for dinner tonight. They are so good and good for you. I knew I would like it, and knew Lexi would only have a cheese crisp, but Chris was the wild card. Well, the verdict is in, and even he liked it and if filled him up. I was worried about the latter because there is no meat in it. But, it was a hit for us! The guacomole really made this meal fantastic! It was my first time making homemade guac and let me tell you, this is now my recipe. so easy, and so so good and fresh tasting. I want to try it again using the cilantro, though, and see if it makes a huge difference. Anyways, try it you will like it!

1 cup cooked brown rice, warm or at room temperature ( I used Minute brown rice and it was such a timesaver)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 red or green pepper, diced ( I used red, and am glad I did)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I left this out, forgot to buy it, and I think it is worth buying, it would add just more flavor, so next time I will add it)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1-2 cups shredded cheese (I used colby monterey jack and did not measure, just guessed)
6 medium tortillas ( I used whole wheat, and it was good)

Directions:
Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open. Spray the tortillas with cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil. Heat a large non-stick skillet (or panini maker) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve with salsa or my favorite, homemade Guacamole--yum!

My Favorite Guacamole
2 avocados, mashed
1 jalapeno minced (I took the seeds out)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped (I left this out, and I thought it was just as good without it)
1 small tomato diced (I used a roma)
kosher salt to taste
squeeze of a lemon

Mix together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment