Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pesto Pizza with Pine Nuts and Feta


THIS.IS.AMAZING.PIZZA! Oh man, Chris was so skeptical when I told him what was for dinner, and mind you, he LOVES him some PIZZA! But now, after tasting, and consuming 2/3 of the pizza, he LOVES this! I was in heaven. I had to restrain myself not to eat the entire thing. Really good and filling. Oh man, I cannot wait to make this again and again and again!

Ingredients:
1 batch pizza dough
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (I used the Lemon Garlic Chicken*, recipe follows)
Pesto
4 oz feta cheese
1/2 red onion, cut in slivers
1-2 large tomatoes sliced (I used grape tomatoes cut in half)
Shredded mozzarella (to your liking)
Toasted pine nuts (to your liking)

Preheat pizza stone (I preheat my oven and pizza stone at 475 degrees for at least 45 minutes before baking the pizza so the stone is nice and hot). Roll out prepared pizza dough and place on pizza peel (or on pizza pan if you aren’t baking it on a pizza stone). Top pizza dough with the pesto, spreading liberally to outer edges of dough. Layer on additional toppings to your liking (I like to reserve some of the toppings and put them on top of the final layer of cheese) and bake for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned.

*Lemon and Garlic Grilled Chicken

Juice of 1 lemon, approximately 3 tablespoons
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic, about 2 medium cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound chicken breasts (I use chicken breast tenderloins)

Combine all marinade ingredients. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag and place in fridge overnight. Grill (or cook in frying pan). Serve with sides of your choice or cut into bite sized pieces and add to desired recipe

( Note: If you cut your chicken into smaller, bite-sized pieces and then marinate it, you can get away with only letting it marinate for 5 or 6 hours instead of overnight.

Often, I will double the marinade and chicken and grill it all up and freeze the extras to use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment