Friday, December 31, 2010

Maple Brown Sugar Ham in the Slow Cooker

I am not very good at making ham. Granted, I have only made ham like three times in my life, but each time it turned out dry and just, okay. But, then, I made this ham for Christmas this year, and now I will never cook ham another way again. It was NOT dry at ALL, and it was the tastiest ham I have had EVER! It was so so easy too! I never would have thought to cook ham in a slow cooker, but now I am convinced, it is the only way to go.

I got this from My Kitchen Cafe, who adapted slightly from Year of Crockpotting

7-8 pound bone-in spiral-cut ham
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup all natural maple syrup (yes, please use pure maple syrup and not pancake syrup)
2 cups pineapple juice

Use a 6-7 quart slow cooker. Unwrap the ham and discard flavor packet. Place the ham into the slow cooker stoneware, flat-side down. Rub brown sugar on all sides. Pour on maple syrup and pineapple juice. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. An hour before serving, baste ham with the collected juices from the bottom of the slow cooker. When cooking is done, remove carefully and let it rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment