Sunday, February 27, 2011

Banana Cream of Wheat

I LOVE the Biggest Loser! Years ago, I purchased the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook, and honestly, did not use it much. Well, for the past two months, I have made almost every single recipe in the book. All of them have been yummy, but I wanted to share some of Chris and I's most very favorite. And, if you want the rest, you just might have to go purchase the book :) With the help of these recipes and exercise I have lost 24 lbs and still counting. So, it works! These recipes hardly taste "diet-like" and are filling.

This first one I am sharing is for breakfast. If you think you don't like cream of wheat, like I have been saying for years, you might change your mind. This recipe fills you up too! Even Lexi eats this for breakfast when I make it. It is warm, and hearty, and overall good. Not to mention, it is easy to make, it takes no time at all to have a warm and satisfying breakfast waiting for your family to gobble it up. Enjoy!

Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 204 calories, 4 g protein, 46 gram carbs, trace fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 123 mg sodium)

4 cups water
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup uncooked original (2 1/2 minute) Cream of Wheat
1 cup mashed, ripe banana (about 2 small bananas)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 packets (.035 each) sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
4 Tbsp. crunchy, high fiber, low-sugar cereal (I used Grape Nuts)

Place water and salt in a medium nonstick saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cream of wheat, stirring constantly until well blended. Return to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and add the banana, cinnamon, and sugar substitute. Stir until well combined.

Divide among 4 bowls. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the crunchy cereal over each and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment