Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sugar Gems

Even though I am dieting, and staying completely away from sweets, I could not let the month of Valentines go by without making sugar cookies. Sugar cookies are hands down my favorite cookie of all time. It has to be soft and it has to have lots of good frosting. So, these were pretty torturous to make, since I could not sample. BUT, Chris and Lexi love them! Chris said it literally melted in his mouth. Lexi, while eating, kept saying, "Mmmmmm....Mmmmmm" So, I know they have to be fantastic sugar cookies! It makes a lot, so I froze about three dozen so that I am not tempted. Also, the frosting Chris said was divine! He actually used the word, divine. So, there you go, try these and tell me what you think. And, when dieting is over, I will definately have to make these again.

from The Sister’s Cafe

Cream together:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Add:
5 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all ingredients well. Roll into golf size balls and place on cookie sheets. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes, (mine only took about 10 minutes. Do not overbake. They should not have too much browning on the bottom, when in doubt, use your nose, if you can smell them, they are done). Cool and frost with sugar gem frosting.

Sugar Gem Frosting
2-2 ½ cups powdered sugar ( I used 2 1/2 cups and I think it was a good choice)
½ cup oil
2 tsp flavoring (almond, vanilla, coconut, etc.) – I used coconut flavoring and it was delicious!I also only had 1 tsp, so that is all I put in and the coconut flavoring was very subtle, not overpowering. I almost think 2 would have been too much)
3-4 Tbsp milk
Coloring if wanted
Mix well and add a little more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment