Sunday, February 27, 2011

Orange, Red Onion, Gorgonzola and Arugula Salad

In an effort of trying to lose weight this year, I have been cooking more health-fully! I have been placing my Paula Deen cookbooks on the shelf, (love you paula, but my body doesn't always) and I have been finding more nutrionally sound meals. From what I have found, I have not been disappointed and the food is yummy. So, I want to share my all time favorite recipes that are not only delicous, but good for you.

I made this recipe today, and oh boy, it was one of the best lunches I have had in a while. Delicious! It comes from a food blog entitled, Ginna's Skinny Recipes (www.skinnytaste.com). My friend, Michelle, introduced this blog to me and so far it has not disappointed me. The blog is all based off of weight watchers points, but since I am not following weight watchers, I like the fact that she includes calories and fat, fiber etc. as well. So whether you are following weight watchers or not, these recipes are perfect for the person trying to be smart when eating.

Now back to the salad. This salad instilled a love of arugula in me. I have never had it before, that I can recall, and now, I love it! It is a peppery green that is so yummy and tasty and jazzes up the spinach in this salad. Yum! I also now love Gorgonzola cheese thanks to this salad. The oranges didn't hurt either, and paired with the red onions, which I cannot eat enough of, this was the perfect salad. The simple to make dressing was out of this world! All the favors blended very well together and it has kept me full! It was the perfect lunch.

The recipe makes one generous serving, but can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. to feed a crowd as a side dish or starter course. I would also imagine, to make this a good dinner, you could add some grilled chicken. Enjoy!

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 1 • Points: 5 pts
Calories: 241.7 • Fat: 13.7 g • Protein: 9.4 g • Carb: 22.2 g • Fiber: 4.0 g

1 small orange, peeled, chopped
3 tbsp crumbled gorgonzola cheese (blue cheese works great too)
sliced red onion (to taste)
2 cups baby arugula and spinach mix
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp honey
salt and fresh pepper

In a small bowl combine oil, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper and whisk well.

In a plate or bowl add baby greens. Top with oranges, onion and gorgonzola. Drizzle vinaigrette over the top and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment