Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kelley's Toffee Bar Cookies

Oh, man! I was craving a dessert tonight, but didn't have a lot of baking stuff on hand, so I was thumbing through one of my new favorite cookbooks that I got for my birthday from my mother in law entitled, Paula Deens: The Deen Family Cookbook AND I came across these sinfully delicious beauties. My own mother used to make these when I was growing up and she had a different name for them, but no matter what you call them, they are sooooo yummy! They are sweet, they are salty, they are carmel-ly, chocolatey, and just down right addicting! If you have not made these, make them, but just be prepared to watch them disappear quickly! The best part is how easy they are to make and only use a handful of ingredients that I always have on hand.

Ingredients:
One (4 oz) sleeve saltine crackers (mine were whole wheat saltines and still tasted great)
8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
One 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips (I only had half a bag of semi and half a bag of milk chocolate so I combined the two and it was really good)

Makes 30 (2 inches each) squares

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan with foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray and line it with the crackers, using broken pieces to fill in the edges of pan.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, not full boil, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour the mixture evenly over the crackers and bake until bubbling, about 5 minutes.

Remove the pan from oven, and immediately sprinkle the top with chocolate chips. Allow the chocolate to melt slightly, then spread it evenly with a spatula all the way to the edges of the pan. Let stand for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly, then cut or break into squares. Store in an airtight container at room temp if they don't all get eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment