Monday, May 2, 2011

Bananas Foster Topped Overnight French Toast

With all this "dieting" going on around here, I have been missing out on my favorite breakfast foods. French toast definately tops that list! Well, when I found this recipe on skinnytaste.com I knew I had to try it. So, I made this yummy thing for dinner last week. And, I was amazed! It did not taste "healthified" at all! It was so delicious! This was my first experience with Challah bread, and I am so glad that I have half a loaf left, because this bread is amazing and is really what makes this recipe better than good! It was so sweet, that you could easily make this for a dessert and serve it to a crowd. The topping is irresistible! Crazy good this stuff is. Anyways, this definitely hit the spot for my craving and I am definitely going to be making this again soon. Yum!


Gina's Weight Watcher Recipe
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 slice with bananas • Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 294.8 • Fat: 4.9 g • Protein: 10.5 g • Carb: 59 g • Fiber: 1.6 g

cooking spray
10 oz Challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick (Hawaiian or Brioche would work)
2 large eggs
1 cup egg substitute(I used egg beaters)
1-1/2 cups fat free milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup agave or white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Meyers rum or rum extract (optional)

Banana Topping:
1 tbsp light butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp Meyers rum or 1 tsp rum extract (optional)
4 medium ripe bananas, sliced

Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, agave or sugar, salt and rum until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight for best results.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

Meanwhile while it's baking, in a large deep sauté pan melt light butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and rum and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add a few drops of water if needed and let sauce simmer about 2 minutes. Add sliced bananas and remove from heat. Keep covered until french toast comes out of the oven.

When french toast is cooked, divide among 8 plates and top with bananas. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment