Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Best Mashed Potatoes

This is now my go-to for mashed potatoes. These are wonderful! They are creamy, and pure potato-ey good! I love them. The sour cream is really the key to great mashed potatoes, in my opinion. Thank you to Sisters Cafe for this recipe, it is delish!

Serves 4-6 as a side dish, can easily be doubled

3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 lb. butter (which is 1 stick, or 1/2 c. butter – if it’s not an important occasion, sometimes I skimp on this and just add a couple tablespoons)
1/2-1 c. milk(I added 3/4 cup and it was the perfect consistency, I used 1% milk)
1/2 c. sour cream(I used light with great results)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until very tender. Meanwhile heat the butter and milk in small sauce pan (or in microwave). Drain potatoes. While still hot, place the potatoes in a big bowl. Slowly add the milk and butter mixture, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mix until the potatoes are mashed but not completely smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment