Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chipotle's "Skinny" Cilantro Lime Rice

First off, Happy Cinco De Mayo!

My family and I normally go out to a Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo, but after last year, waiting for hours to get a table at one of only like 2 Mexican restaraunts in this state, and the fact that my hubs has night classes this semester, we decided to stay home and cook our own Mexican dishes. I also didn't want to blow my diet completely, so I went to a wonderful source, skinnytaste.com. She did not disappoint.

I decided we would re=create burrito bowls from one of our favorite fast food Mexican joints, Chipotle. For me, the rice is my favorite part at Chipotle, but I have never found a recipe that tastes close to it...until now that is. This recipe tastes EXACTLY like the real thing AND it is not too bad for you, either! Double win here! Really, it tastes like I bought it from Chipotle, it is that good.

We topped this rice with romaine lettuce, sweet barbacoa pork, black beans, reduced fat Mexican cheese, avocado, salsa, and homemade tortillas. It was just as good as getting Chipotle, and it was half the fat and calories. I loved every bite of it! Oh, how I love Mexican food! I cannot wait to make this rice again for another mexican fiesta night, since we have a ton of pork left over, bummer right?

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 201.0 • Fat: 3.4 • Carbs: 37.4 • Fiber: 0 • Protein: 4.0 g

1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
1/2 lime, juice of
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
3 tsp vegetable oil

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment