Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tres Leches Cupcakes

To end our Cinco de Mayo fiesta, I made Tres Leches Cupcakes. I have made a Coconut Tres Leches cake before, which is utterly amazing, but it is labor intensive and for a weeknight dessert, I wasn't in the mood to exert that much effort, but I so badly wanted a little bit of Tres Leches cake. So, when I found a recipe for these cupcakes, I knew I had to try them. I am so glad I did. These were great! They were light and yummy! I could have eaten all 24, but don't worry, I didn't. I might have had more than one though, oops! But, they look beautiful and they taste great! Make them today!

Recipe by Our Best Bites

8 oz. evaporated milk

1 can sweetened condensed milk

24 white cupcakes (I just used a box mix, but you could make homemade if you are cool like that)

1 pint whipping cream, divided

3-4 Tbsp. Hershey’s Caramel Syrup

Sliced fresh fruit (like strawberries, mangoes, and kiwis, optional)

Juice of 1 lime (optional: I didn't do this, but I did put a slice of strawberry on top)

Bake cupcakes according to recipe directions in FOIL LINERS. This is extremely important because it helps contain the milk mixture.

After cupcakes have cooled, use a bamboo skewer(I used a chopstick) to poke several holes in each cupcake. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 3/4 c. of whipping cream. Use a ladle to pour the milk mixture over each cupcake. There might be some runover. Such is life with tres leches cupcakes. Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, beat the remaining 1 1/4 c. of whipping cream until medium peaks form. Gently fold in the caramel syrup and pipe or dollop the whipped cream on each of the cupcakes. If desired, toss the sliced fruit with the lime juice and top the cupcakes with the sliced fruit. Serve on a small plate with a dessert spoon.

Hint: I made these cupcakes four hours before we ate them and they were perfect. Chris ate them 6 hours after I made them and he said they were divine, so the longer they sit the better! I wouldn't do overnight, though, they might get too soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment