Monday, November 22, 2010

Crock Pot Beef Tacos in Homemade Tortillas

Chris and I love Mexican food! But, sometimes I get bored with the same old, same old thing. Well, I saw this recipe over at Picky Palate and thought I would give it a try. I love that it simmers in the crock pot so that all the flavors have a chance to mingle and get good! We really enjoyed this! The meat has such a nice flavor to it. I halved the recipe for our little family and I still have some leftovers. I also made my mom's homemade tortillas to wrap up all the beef goodness and it was a perfect dinner for us! I garnished these tacos with shredded iceberg lettuce, sharp cheddar cheese (cabot brand is best), salsa, avocadoes, and sour cream. It was delish!

source:Picky Palate Blog

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 anaheim chili peppers, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 lbs lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with Parsley (I just used regular garlic salt)
1 Cup Herdez Mild Salsa, or your favorite brand
1. Place oil into a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, peppers and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in beef, salt, pepper and Lawry’s. Cook until browned. Stir in Salsa then transfer to crockpot on low heat. Let cook on low for 2-3 hours* or until ready to serve. Right before serving, stir in fresh chopped cilantro if desired*.

*: I did not add the cilantro and it still was great! I also cooked my beef for 3 hours, I believe two hours would not have been long enough.

8 servings

Momma Farrelly's Homemade Flour Tortillas
5 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening
2 cups water

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut shortening into flour either with a pastry blender, two knives, or I use a potato masher, tip from my mom that works for this really well, until crumbly.
Add 2 cups water, knead dough on floured surface. My mom does this by hand, but I knead mine in my kitchen aide for about 3-5 minutes, it works great! Divide dough in half. (I only used one half for my family and it made about 8 tortillas, rolled pretty thin. I took the other half of dough, made 8 more dough balls, rolled each ball in wax paper and placed them in a freezer ziplock bag. My mom has never froze the dough, but I did tonight, so I will let you know if it works well being frozen).
Roll each dough ball out as thin as you would like and then lightly brown in a dry skillet over med-high heat, just a couple minutes per side. Be very careful, they can burn easily if not watching. then, all done. Place favorite toppings inside and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment