Friday, November 5, 2010

Shredded Sweet Pork Salad: Cafe Rio Style

Okay, I have a confession to make. I have never eaten at a Cafe Rio restaurant. Even living in AZ and visiting Utah, I have never been inside one. I know, shame. However, I have had their sweet pork salad, it was at a RS meeting I went to once. And, I have had it in people's homes that have made the knock off recipes. So, even though I haven't been to the actual location, I know what it is suppose to taste like. Well, this knock off recipe is the BEST in my opinion. This pork is delicious and so easy since it is cooked in a crockpot all day. We had friends from the ward over for dinner to try it with us and they loved it too! Making all the elements was a little time consuming, but it was good. I have always wanted to try making it myself and now I can say I have. So, even if you have had versions of this before, try this one and I am sure it will be your new favorite too! I think I might even make just the meat and rice and just have that for dinner on its own. Those two things were my favorite part. Enjoy!

Assembling your salad:
Toast a large tortilla sprinkled with cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar) under the broiler until slightly crisp. Then layer chopped romaine, rice and beans, shredded pork, pico de gallo, guacamole (I made homemade), and crispy tortilla strips (I didn't worry about this and it still was great). Drizzle on dressing, sprinkle with cotija cheese (again, I used extra sharp cheddar) and garnish with a lime wedge...and voila! Dinner is served! Yummy!

Shredded Sweet Pork
3 lb pork roast (I used pork tenderloin)
1 c brown sugar
1 c Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tb dried minced onions

Cook all ingredients in a crock pot on low all day (abt 8 hours). One hour before serving, remove roast and shred it. Dump out all cooking juices and place shredded pork back into crockpot and add...

1 c brown sugar
1 c red enchilada sauce

Cilantro Lime Rice
3 c water*
3 c Minute rice*
4 cubes chicken bouillon
4 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tb canola oil
2 Tb fresh lime juice
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/2 onion
1 can green chilies

Blend cilantro, onion, and chilies in food processor. Bring water to boil and add all ingredients, simmer covered for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. *I hate Minute Rice and never buy it - you can substitute regular rice, just adjust the water to rice ratio accordingly.For mine, I used 2 cups water to 1 cup rice.

Garlic Black Beans
1 can black beans
1/3 c tomato juice
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp)
1 tsp cumin
2 Tb canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tb chopped cilantro

Heat oil then add cumin and garlic until garlic begins to pop. Add rest of ingredients and serve warm.

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
3 tomatillos, peeled and quartered
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c sour cream
1 pkg dry buttermilk ranch dressing
1 c fresh chopped cilantro
6 green onions with ends, chopped (I might add less next time, like 4, 6 was a little much, I think)
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp)
3 tsp sugar
1 jalapeno, sliced thin - add to taste (I used less than half of a big jalapeno) It gets spicy fast and the longer it sits, the spicier it gets, so don't be liberal with this :)

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

I made homemade guacomole that was amazing! For the recipe, go to my post on Crispy Southwest Wraps (vegetarian) under the Mexican tab. Delicious!

Source: The Sisters Cafe Blog, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment