Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I cannot remember what blog I found this recipe from, but it is delicious! There are a lot of versions of this soup in blog land, but this particular one was the simpliest and easiest, in my opinion, so for those reasons I chose this version. Oh boy, this is good soup! Chris said it is now one of his favorite soups! Even Miss Lex ate this. Trust me, everytime Lex eats something I make these days, I take note because it does not happen a lot right now. I loved it as well. It is good comforting soup just right for a chilly fall night. The garnishes really make this soup out of this world, so don't skimp on those.

6 medium russet potatoes
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
4 cups milk, divided (I used 2%, the recipe calls for whole milk, but personally, I don't think it matters)
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth (I used stock, just because I think it adds more flavor)
1/2 bunch green onions, sliced plus a little more for garnish
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnish (I used sharp cheddar)
1 (8 oz) carton sour cream, 1 cup is equivalent to 8 oz
pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp.)
6 slices cooked bacon, chopped, garnish

Peel, wash, and chop four potatoes. Place in a pot, cover with water, and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. When soft, drain water and mash with one cup milk.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, and stir continuously for at least one minute. Slowly whisk in three cups milk and the chicken broth. Stir until thick. Reduce heat to med-low and add cheese, sour cream, mashed potatoes, pepper, and green onions. Do NOT bring to a boil after sour cream has been added.

Bake remaining two potatoes in the microwave until soft, (make sure to poke them with a fork before cooking). Chop the cooked potatoes and add to soup. Simmer for an additonal 5-10 minutes. Serve with chopped bacon, extra shredded cheese, and green onions. serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment