Saturday, March 5, 2011

Slow Cooked Apple Butter

This smells and tastes amazing! You can spread this on toast, eat it on pancakes/waffles, or put it in oatmeal like I have done this past week. This makes your house smell divine and although it is so simple, thanks to the slow cooker, it does take time so be sure to watch the amount of time on the recipe. I am going to make lots of this in the fall and can it for the winter months next year. Man, I am in love with this stuff.

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 16 • Serving Size: 2 tablespoons • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 88.5 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 0.2 g • Carb: 24.5 g • Fiber: 2.2 g

2.5 lbs (6 large) apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped (I used gala)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Place the apples in a slow cooker. Top with sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and mix well.

Cover and cook on low 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.

Uncover and puree with an immersion blender (I don't have an immersion blender, so I used my food processor and it worked great). Cook on high uncovered 1-2 hours.

Spoon into sterile jars, or containers and refrigerate.

Makes 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment